Sunday, September 25, 2011


Safety and other considerations. When working on old cars one need to consider safety. Paints have lead, brake shoes have asbestos, many types of metal particles, paints and other chemicals are and where used of all kinds. I thought I'd throw in this picture of me in my safety garb. If I was in all white, I look as if I'd come from Star Wars. One of the considerations for doing this blog is to pass on the idea that almost any young man can work on a car project. You don't have to spend a fortune to do a 100 point show car.  I'm doing what might be called a refurbish rather than a restoration. In a 100 point restoration the car comes out brand new or even better. What I'm doing is a ground up "refurbish". This evolves taking almost everything apart, checking for wear, cleaning, removing and preventing rust, making sure the parts are serviceable, and finally reconditioning. Also parts are replaced when they are beyond service. The end results will be an original car that has been refurbished. Finally I will include pictures and explanations when I feel that manuals and other available information is not complete for someone new to the hobby.   

2 comments:

Brad said...

Hi Don,

Nice work. I'm learning a lot. I always wanted to learn about restoring cars. Thanks for sharing.

Don East said...

Brad, if you have any questions along the way,ask.
If I can I'll answer.